Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

Crock Pot Refried-Beans

I've mentioned my love of Mexican food before. I've always liked it, but it intensified when I became pregnant with my son, and it has stuck. We eat the flavors of Mexican food at least a few times a month. That smokey, flavorful combination of chili powder, cumin, salty and sweet is just delightful. Plus there is usually a lot of cheese involved, and you can't beat that. Oh and beans!!! I LOVE beans!!

I have never made my own re-fried beans before, and yet they are one of my favorite parts of taco night. Of course, in the past I have just bought a can of delicious refried beans, the vegetarian kind, and heated it up on the stove. Making real refried beans didn't really seem worth it...but it is. Not only are these beans delicious, wholesome, and homemade, they are dirt cheap! This recipe makes a ton of beans, and they can be frozen in bags or containers for later consumption. You can play with the spices as you wish. Oh, and its so easy! Just put everything in the crock pot, let it sit, and smash them up. You can make the beans and actually fry them in some butter or oil on the stove before serving to make them a little more authentic, but I honestly don't think they need it.

I served these with oven baked chicken fajitas and sour cream. Other good additions would be salsa, queso fresco, and avocado!!



I know this isn't the best picture - but it is so good!

Crock Pot Baked Beans

2 lbs dried pinto beans
1 large onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
2tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp salt
1 tsp. pepper
10 cups water

Rinse beans in clean water and remove any rocks/impurities. Put all ingredients into the crock pot and set on high for 4 hours, then low for 2 hours. Puree with hand blender, or mash with potato masher. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment