Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Sriracha Roasted Cashews

Sometime last year I started getting monthly deliveries of healthy snacks from NatureBox. It isn't really pricey, and I like that it had a variety of foods in small-ish packages to try. It has introduced me to a few different things I may not have tried otherwise. 



Like Sriracha Roasted Cashews. Oh my word, are they delicious. I only recently found a good relationship with heat. Before this year I wanted absolutely nothing to do with spice in my food. Then I think it was Alli's first birthday party where I had a piece of pepper jack cheese and actually liked that milk heat. I will still order mild items at restaurants and avoid most hot sauces like dog poop, but Sriracha, I like. Probably because it is a little sweet, and it actually has flavor - something I don't really find in other "heat packing" items.

The little package from NatureBox is barely enough to get me through one sitting, let alone a whole month. Plus, they still use ingredients that I'm not 100% OK with. So, I decided to make my own, as I often do. I'll be making my own sriracha sauce myself this summer from peppers from my own garden (hopefully!) but for now, I used the bottled stuff. These aren't exactly the same, but they are really darn good, addicting actually, and my 11-year-old step-son who also loves Sriracha was mighty impressed!

As with most things I've discovered, this is incredibly easy to make. I've actually made two batches so far.











Sriracha Roasted Cashews

1-2 Tablespoons Sriracha Sauce (I used 1 in my first batch, then 2 in my second for a little more heat)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups raw or roasted, salted cashews, whole or halves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a silpat or parchment paper. Heat Sriracha and brown sugar on the stove until sugar is melted. Pour over cashews in a medium sized bowl and coat well. Spread cashews out on cookie sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes or until toasted and starting to darken. Let cool on cookie sheet, then break apart pieces stuck together and move to a sealed container. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I got these from Nature Box and loved them but never thought about recreating them. Thanks as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say, these aren't as good as the NatureBox ones. I think it has to do with using the bottled sriracha and making the glaze too "wet". I'm working on a better recipe, but these got me through to my next naturebox delivery ;)

      Delete