Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Parmesan scones

I am always taking random photos of food I make with the ultimate plan on putting it on the blog, because I think it is blog-worthy. They barely ever make it here though, because they aren't anything really special, I didn't get photos of the process, or, I just forget about them as I carry on with my packed days. 

Well, this is one of those recipes. I do a LOT of baking in my kitchen of food that never gets on the blog, but some recipes stand out and I think they should be shared. These are fabulous. The perfect textured scone with the flavor of Parmesan with sun dried tomato butter. Breakfast or tea doesn't get any better. I love scones of all types, but when you want something savory that doesn't need to be cooked, these fit the bill. 

I also made these for teacher appreciation week for Gavyn and Alli's gymnastics teachers. They make a good gift because they keep well and can be eaten as is, without too much mess. Great for packing up and giving to other hungry humans. 





Parmesan Scones

2 cups unbleached all purpose or whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. course ground black pepper
2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 stick butter, cut into cubes and softened
1/2 cup half and half
1 large egg
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Add butter and mix until it starts to look like crumbs
Combine half and half and egg and add to the bowl and mix until a soft dough is formed.
On floured surface, roll out to 1 1/2 inch thickness and cut into desired shapes (I used a cute heart cookie cutter :)).
Place on baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and top with remaining parmesan. Add extra, if desired.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until brown all over. Serve warm or cool. Best with sun dried tomato butter (just mix soft butter with chopped marinated sun dried tomatoes).



No comments:

Post a Comment