Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches

These cold treats may not make much sense now that the weather is a bit more seasonal, which is a very welcome change around here, but they are still a yummy treat. Besides, ice cream and frozen yogurt is good any time of year! When I did make these, it was 99 degrees out and I wanted something cold, healthy, and sweet. I didn't have any cream, but I did have my homemade yogurt and a bunch of blueberries from our aunt and uncle's place. So I decided to make these frozen yogurt sandwiches from The Galley Gourmet. I substituted maple syrup for the sugar in the blueberries, and used my homemade yogurt to make frozen yogurt in my ice cream maker. My bars aren't very sweet, so if you prefer more sweetness either add more honey/sugar to your yogurt or use a good brand of vanilla frozen yogurt. The cookies lend a nice sweetness to the whole thing though!

I started with the blueberries - I had probably 3-4 cups. After they were thawed and started to cook down I mashed them with my favorite potato masher. Let me tell you something about this masher - it has been around forever, traveled, and is still my favorite after several other mashers.



Then after it was nice and mashed I added about 1/4 cup maple syrup mixed with 1/4 cup cornstarch.


While that cooked I got started on the cookie part. Butter and brown sugar were creamed, then an egg and some vanilla. Then whole wheat flour, baking soda. baking powder, salt. and cinnamon. 



Mt taste tester...


I buttered and floured two pans of the same size and distributed the dough. Next time I'll put parchment in the pans as well, because my top layer of cookie kind of meshed with the butter/flour mixture and stuck to the pan.




Here they are baked up


Then the layering! Half the blueberry mixture...


The frozen yogurt...




And dolloped the other half of the blueberries. It was so hot my fro-yo was melting like crazy, so it got a little icy in the freezer, but not too bad.


Then I topped with the other cookie crust, needing some repair work...


But the results were delicious and still beautiful!


Mmmmm


Having some of these in your freezer, possibly  individually wrapped, can't be a bad idea!

Blueberry and frozen yogurt sandwiches

For the Sandwich Layers
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 ounces (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 extra large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Preheat the oven to 375ยบ F with the rack in the middle.   Butter and flour two 8-inch baking pans, then line with parchment paper with sides over hanging for easy release. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Reduce the speed and add the flour mixture in two batches, mixing just until combined.  Evenly divide the batter between the prepared pans, spreading with an offset spatula.  Bake until golden brown, but still tender, 10-12 minutes.  Cool completely in the pans for least 1 hour.

For the berry layer:

Heat and mash 3-4 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries until cooked down. Add 1/4 cup maple syrup mixed with 1/4 cup cornstarch and stir until thickened. Let cool. 

You can find my homemade yogurt recipe here, and turn it in an ice cream maker, or use store bought fro-yo. 

To assemble:

Spread half the berry mixture onto one cookie layer. Top with the fro-yo, and dollop the remaining blueberry sauce over that. Carefully invert your second cookie layer on top of that and press down as hard as you can without breaking the cookie layer. Freeze for 24 hours, or as long as you can stand waiting. At least 8, I recommend!

Plop the whole thing out on a cutting board and cut into desired sizes. Keep well sealing in the freezer for easy grab-and-go snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment