Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

GF Crackers

You all knew this was coming. I had to make a gluten free cracker with all these gluten free recipes I am trying. This is my second cracker using almond flour as the base, and if its possible, I like them better than wheat crackers. They come out crunchy every time, and are super easy to put together. It is almost like almond flour was made for making crackers. In my first batch I put in some basil and oregano and those were mighty tasty. These don't have herbs - just some salt and a little bit of sugar. I was going for a wheat-thin type cracker.


You basically just mix all the ingredients in a bowl, and you have your dough. No food processor, no chilling anything...just mix, roll, cut, bake.

To roll them out on my cookie sheet/silpat, I used wax paper. This way everything didn't stick to the pin. I just kept rolling until it reached all the sides and was an even thickness. These are pretty thin but still hold up.




The missing pieces were just for testing...





Gluten Free Crackers (using almond flour)
adapted from LoCarbolicious

1 1/2 c almond flour
1/2 cup flax meal
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 325. Mix almond flour, flax meal, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Add egg and melted butter and mix until well combined (no need to worry about over mixing. mix and mix as much as you want).

Put dough on a cookie sheet lined with a silpat and flatten with your hands. Place a piece of wax paper as big as the cookie sheet over the dough and roll out until you have mostly covered the cookie sheet. Roll and pat and adjust until it is, for the most part, uniform in thickness.

Using a cookie cutter, cut out cracker shapes. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just starting to brown. Let cool before breaking apart and storing in an air-tight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment