Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Lactation Cookies

Don't let the title of this post scare you! These aren't just for breastfeeding mothers. However, if you are a breastfeeding mother, or plan to be one, this is a good recipe to have on hand! You can buy good lactation cookies but they are so expensive. They are much more affordable this way and of course, the more you make home-made the better. 

The 3 key ingredients that help with milk supply in these cookies are brewers yeast, oats, and flax meal. I ordered my flax meal and brewers yeast from Amazon, as I do everything else. Now, I have no problems with my supply for baby girl. These cookies are also good for just general nutrition and nutrition of the milk I am making. Plus they taste good and make an excellent on-the-go breakfast or afternoon snack. If you aren't a lactating mother, you can probably skip the brewers yeast. Unless you like that flavor - which really, I do. 

I like that this recipe uses maple sugar for the slight sweetness, and coconut oil for the fat. Also, I would not skip the chocolate chips. Without them, these cookies would be really un-sweet and the yeast would overpower everything. I might also add raisins and some nuts next time, or dried blueberries. But I would never leave out some extra addition. 

I'd also like to take this chance to talk about cinnamon. I recently ordered some REAL Ceylon Cinnamon off amazon and when I got it, I knew for certain that the stuff I was getting at the store is not real cinnamon, but it's cheap alternative cassia. The main difference I find between the two is the Ceylon cinnamon is much less harsh and doesn't have that "burn your mouth" feeling. It smells a little different, which is how I knew I now had the real stuff. If things like this are important to you like they are to me (cinnamon has many healing and nutritional properties that I want and can't get from cassia) you should check your source for cinnamon!


Grinding some oats up in the food processor

Adding it to whole oats, flax meal, tapioca starch, brewers yeast, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon

And chocolate chips....for the antioxidants! Then coconut oil and maple syrup

The dough

The nutritional powerhouses

I like to make bog cookies!

Mmmm so good!
Lactation Cookies, adapted from Cara's Cravings

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flax meal
1/4 cup tapioca starch
4 heaping tablespoons brewers yeast (optional for non-milk makers)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
2/3 cup maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment or a silpat.
Blend 1/2 cup oats in food processor until it reaches a flour-like consistency.
Mix with the rest of the oats, flax meal, tapioca starch, brewers yeast, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add chocolate chips. Then stir in the coconut oil and maple syrup. I used about 1/4 cup of dough per cookie and got 14 cookies out of the deal. Place on cookie sheets and bake for about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment