Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Zucchini Bread

Its that time of year again. The time when gardens are flourishing with food. We've had our ups and downs with our garden (apparently root vegetables don't grow very well in clay), but some things that have survived are the lettuces, tomatoes, and squashes! And I think the corn. We'll give it some more time and see.

We not only have summer squash coming out of our garden, but we get it from others too. People seem to always be looking to get rid of some zucchini, because it grows so much and they get overwhelmed. Well, I welcome the onslaught of zucchini. I have two handfuls of recipes to use them up. From side dishes to casseroles to appetizers to desserts - I WILL use all of this squash. Starting with zucchini bread. Because it is so good and to me, is one of the best parts about the summer harvest. Slathered with good butter, maybe toasted in the oven - it makes the perfect breakfast or snack.

Especially this recipe. This recipe is super healthy, but it still moist and almost decadent. It is originally from Simply Whole Kitchen.

Almost all of my ingredients. 
My boy likes to supervise

And help stir

Baby girl is taste testing the zucchini for me

All mixed up and in the pan
I actually stole this picture from Simply Whole Kitchen, because I forgot to take a picture of my loaf. It looks just like this though. I have slices frozen in my freezer and will take my own picture ASAP!
 Zucchini Bread

3 c whole wheat white flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 c coconut oil (or butter)
1/2 c whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 c grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini or one XL)
1 c chopped pecans


Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Combine all of your dry ingredients in one bowl and all of your wet in another (except for the zucchini and nuts).  Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine (don't over mix).  Add the grated zucchini and nuts and stir to combine.   Pour the dough into a greased loaf pan and bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment