Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Dehydrating! Marinated Sundried Tomatoes

Last summer when I was going through some of my Dad's things in Minnesota I came across his huge dehydrator. I brought it home, thinking I could sell it because I just didn't have room for it in my house. Well, once home, I had a hard time parting with it. I thought maybe I could use it to dry all the fresh herbs I was going to be making. So it has sat in the basement for quite some time. Well, if anything is growing like crazy in our garden, it is the tomatoes. After making soup, using them for sandwiches and salsa, I had to think of another way to use them up. Enter the dehydrator! I had visions of yummy marinated sun-dried tomatoes in my mind. So I got the thing up, cleaned it out, and got to slicing up my tomatoes.

I am SO so glad I kept the thing. It was a cinch to use, and my results - fantastic. I just had to layer the tomatoes in grates, and turn it on. I had mine on for about 9 hours. I had also put in some apples because that is another thing I bought way too much of at the orchard last week. These also came out super good. It is going to be the perfect car snack for my long trip up North this weekend.

So now I am a little addicted. I keep looking through my house looking for things to dehydrate. I have some more apples going right now, and a banana just to see how that turns out.

As for my sundried tomatoes - they are marinating in some extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, some herbs, and salt and pepper. I am so excited to use them either on pizza, in pesto, or just out of the jar and put on some crusty bread. Then I get to use that infused olive oil mixture for whatever I want. What a beautiful thing!

My apples and tomatoes - lots more tomatoes in the under layers!

I love the stars inside of apples. I used my pastry tip to cut them out of the apples

The massive dehydrator - totally worth the space


Mmmmm snackies!

They are a little brown, but they taste great and I don't mind it. Some lemon juice might solve that. 

Some tomatoes in my olive oil mixture. Oh. So. Good. 


  
Next up: apples and bananas cookin' right now
Sundried Tomatoes in Marinade

About 1 cup sundried (dehydrated) tomatoes, enough to fill jar UN-packed
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Red Wine vinegar
1/2 tsp each dried oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley and salt
pepper

Place all ingredients in a jar - filling it about 3/4 the way with the olive oil and the rest of the way with vinegar along with the herbs. Let sit in the fridge to marinate. Enjoy in every way possible.

1 comment:

  1. I just bought this dehydrator & getting ready to do my first batch! I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete