Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas

Another Mom in my Mom's group just became a mother of two instead of one. She had her second little boy just the other week and is one tired Mama! Ten months ago, I would have killed for somebody to bring me a hot meal I didn't have to cook. Especially a week of hot meals. Another friend of mine arranged a Take Them a Meal set-up where you can sign up to bring the family a dinner on the week chosen. I think this is so brilliant. Not only do I completely understand the need for a nice home-cooked meal after having a baby, but I love feeding people. I love cooking and sharing my food. I saw a recipe like this at Reluctant Entertainer but made a lot of changes. Mostly because I was trying to use what I had on hand, and I was doubling the recipe. It was a perfect meal to make double of though, and very satisfying and healthy. 

It is chock full of veggies and can be easily made dairy free by emitting the cheese. It would still be a great meal. I served it with my rendition of Mexican rice (in other words - I just threw in some chili peppers, tomato paste, and homemade taco seasoning). I also used both corn tortillas, which I had a surplus of, for our casserole style enchiladas and homemade flour tortillas for the traditional rolled enchiladas which I brought to the lucky family of now four. I also brought out a jar of my homemade enchilada sauce and stretched it a bit with some tomato sauce and taco seasoning. 

The recipe I write below will be for just one batch of enchiladas, but in my pictures I am making double. 

I started by roasting cubed butternut squash and onions. I cubed them pretty small so there weren't huge chunks in the enchiladas. 




After those roasted for about half an hour, I added zucchini and corn.


All the vegetables roasted together and made what would make a pretty good side dish on its own.


Then I added black beans to the filling.


The filling!



Then time to roll! I put a scoop of filling in each tortilla along with some shredded Mexican cheese. These would also be amazing with goat cheese, in my opinion!


                            


I laid them in a pan with some sauce at the bottom, and squeezed them all together.


 And topped them with more sauce and the rest of the Mexican cheese


That was the traditional enchilada pan. For us, because my corn tortillas were just falling apart when I tried to roll them, I decided to take the easy road and make a casserole. Same great taste, no rolling necessary. Using corn tortillas also made this gluten free, for those who care about that kind of thing.




 The two dishes ready for the oven



Then I baked them for about  half an hour until all the cheese on top was melted. The filling was warm, so if it had been cold it would have needed to cook for longer. 

 Here is the rolled enchiladas:


And here is the casserole style:

 

 I  love all the veggies in this. It is pretty, delicious, and so healthy!



Big smiles for this meal!


Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas

1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced

1 medium onion, chopped

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 medium zucchini, diced

1 cup corn, frozen or fresh

1 can black beans

1/2 recipe homemade enchilada sauce, or a large can of mild enchilada sauce

2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend

10-12 corn tortillas or homemade flour tortillas

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cubed butternut squash and chopped onion on a large baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 20-30  minutes or until tender. Add the zucchini and corn to the mixture for an additional 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the roasted butternut mixture and the black beans.
  3. Pour a thin layer of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of 13″ x 9″ casserole dish. Place 1/3 cup of the squash and bean mixture into each tortilla. Top with a couple tablespoons of shredded cheese and roll up, leaving the ends un-tucked. This will allow the sauce to get into the enchiladas later. 
  4. Continue until the pan is full of enchiladas. It’s okay to squeeze them together and add in extra if you need to. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese has thoroughly melted and is beginning to bubble around the edges, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
  5. Serve with Mexican rice, sour cream, acovado, or whatever else you can think of!

No comments:

Post a Comment