Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Enchiladas: Part Two

I don't want you to think these enchiladas are really involved and they are going to take you forever, because that is not the case. I just did all these things in my own time over a couple days and I also thought it would be helpful to have the sauce and tortillas separate for future reference. So now, tortillas!

This is one of those things that everybody should at least do once, because it is so satisfying. I didn't get to many pictures of the whole thing because I was chatting it up with my brother while making them, but the steps aren't too hard to comprehend.

I used this recipe from The Prairie Homestead to start. I followed it exactly and it came out great. I started with two cups of whole wheat flour, added the salt, and then used my fingers to incorporate the coconut oil.


I then added the milk and mixed it all up! I had to knead it a little bit. Then I let it rest until I was ready to make them. Then I cut them up into 8 equal portions (if you are picky you can use a food scale, but I'm not so picky :)). Rolled them out as thin as I could and got my frying pan ready! I really really wish I had a cast iron skillet. I have a cast iron dutch oven , but that wouldn't have worked for this, clearly. I just used my nonstick pan and it was fine. I didn't need any oil. I just heated the pan over medium high heat and flopped one of the discs in there. They cooked for about 30 seconds each side and they were done! I didn't even get a picture of the finished products...shame on me. However, this is how they looked filled with delicious shredded beef filling going into the casserole dish.

Homemade Flour Tortillas

2 cups flour (I used all white, but next time will use a combo white/whole wheat)
1 tsp salt (I used sea salt)
2 T coconut oil in its solid state. If it is summer and it is liquid put it in the fridge for a bit first.
3/4 c warm whole milk

Mix the flour and salt in a medium sized bowl, and then cut in the coconut oil, as in making a pie crust or biscuits. Then add in the milk and combine and knead a bit to form a uniform dough. Let it rest for at least 20 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 portions, roll out using a bit of flour to prevent sticking, and then cook in a dry skillet for about 30 seconds on each side. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment