Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Enchiladas: Part Three

Finally, time to make the enchiladas! Most of the work is done, and now it is mostly assembling.

Here is the recipe I used for these particular enchiladas again: Shredded beef enchiladas.

You can also make shredded chicken, ground beef, bean, or even just cheese enchiladas - just adjust the protein accordingly. I highly suggest using this method though. The beef is SO GOOD. I used a 2 lb chuck roast from Triple S Farms - a local farm that raises organic grass fed beef. I've seen this farm and its cows, and feel good eating meat from here. If you can find a local farm like this near you, the meat is totally worth it.

So. I put the roast in my crock pot with all the glorious spices and let it sit overnight on low. Have you ever let something cook in your crock pot overnight? Try waking up NOT hungry! The house smelled fantastic.


I shredded the now super-tender meat and picked out any pieces of chewy fat that I can't stand touching my mouth. I then added a can of mild diced green chilies. If you like spicy  use the hot ones. You are a more macho person than I am.


I'm going to give you one more picture of this delicious, moist, flavorful meat. I'm drooling just thinking about it.


OK! So then you just take your tortillas and fill them up at one end and roll them. I was able to put a lot of meat in each tortilla - so these things were really stuffed. One of these babies fills you up good, and a second sends you into a food nirvana. Sometimes, it just feels good to be really full.

As you can see, I put some of my Homemade Enchilada Sauce at the bottom of the dish to prevent sticking and to help coat the enchiladas. See how huge those things are?

I actually got all the enchiladas stuffed into my large glass baking dish. I didn't think it was going to happen, but they were nice and cozy in there. I then covered them with the rest of the enchilada sauce and made sure it got into the crevices. I probably used 3 cups of sauce.


Now this part is very important. Load the dish up with Montery Jack Cheese. I mean, really put as much on there as you can. There is no cheese in the enchiladas themselves, so you really want the tops smothered in it. Forgive yourself, and add some more.

Then, when you are ready to cook it, put it in the oven set at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Nothing has to cook, it just has to heat and melt all that cheese. Then serve it nice and hot. I had trouble finding the individual enchiladas because I packed them so tight, so if that is important to you, you might want to use two pans. While dinner was cooking, Uncle Tom played helicopters with Gavyn.


And here is a nice serving!
Om nom nom
Everybody enjoyed the enchiladas. I can't wait to have the leftovers for dinner tonight!



Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Enchiladas:
* 2 pound beef chuck pot roast
* 1 tsp cumin
* 1 tsp chili powder
* 1 tsp garlic salt
* 1 tsp Mexican oregano
* 1 pinch coarse salt
* 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
*  1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
* 3 cups of sauce from the recipe Enchilada Sauce
* 8 flour tortialls found here Homemade Tortillas
* 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, or more
Arrange the beef in the slow cooker and toss all the spices in (through the black pepper), cover and cook on the lowest setting for 6 -8 hours. Shred with two forks. Taste. You must taste it to make sure it is good. Place in a bowl and add the diced chilies. Combine. Preheat oven to 350. Pour a little of your sauce into the bottom of a large casserole dish. 
Evenly divide the beef mixture at the edge of each tortilla; roll up tightly and layer in the dish seam side down. Continue until the dish is filled. You might need two dishes. 
Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Get it in every crevice. Sprinkle the cheese over the top. Throw it in the oven for about 40 minutes, until the cheese is browned and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment