Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Wheat Thin -type Crackers

Yes, another cracker recipe. I can't seem to keep crackers in my house for long, so I am always making them now. That is the problem with going homemade - toddler and husbands (and breast-feeding Mamas) eat them up FAST! This was a request by an old friend of mine and she gave me the recipe to try out. This is the recipe she had me try. I like this recipe for lots of reasons. One, it uses all whole wheat flour. Two, it uses honey as the sweetener. Three, they come out great, as long as you bake them long enough. 

I said this because the first batch I  made I didn't bake long enough. I baked them about 10 minutes, as per the directions, and they did look nice and brown. In fact, a couple were a little on the too-dark side. However, once they cooled, they weren't exactly crispy like crackers should be. Since I had the other half of my crackers waiting to be baked (I didn't want to dirty two cookie sheets so I just used the same one twice) I decided to bake them longer. I baked them for what I thought was going to be too long, and was worried because I didn't want to burn them. I basically took them out right before they burned, and they were perfect. once they cooled they had that nice crunch to them. So if you make these, they need to be really really done. Almost burnt :).

The recipe is like many other cracker recipes - you mix the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, and then add the rest of the liquids.

The butter cut into the dry ingredients - I use my fingers
My mess of a dough ball. 
Another nice thing about this recipe is that I was able to leave it and come back to it throughout the day due to Mommy duty. It still worked out fine. I was in a rush getting this ball of dough together so it is kind of messy!!

They were easy to cut out with a pizza cutter. 

My little helper
They really need to get nice and dark. Maybe it is the whole wheat flour. The crispy ones were awesome - we spent the rest of the night eating them with cheese!


Homemade Honey Wheat Thins Crackers
 
Cook time
Total time
 
Author: 
Recipe type: Snacks
Ingredients
  • 1¾ cup whole wheat flour
  • ½ tsp sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
  • ¼ tsp paprika
  • 5 tbsp organic butter, cold and cubed
  • 2 tbsp raw honey
  • ¼ tsp white vinegar
  • ¼ cup water
  • ¼ tsp pure vanilla
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl combine the wheat flour, salt and paprika. Use a whisk to mix together.
  2. Using a fork, knife, or your hands, mix in the butter until the mixture is similar to coarse sand.
  3. Add the honey and vinegar and stir well.
  4. Combine the water and vanilla in a small dish or cup.
  5. Slowly pour the water into the dough while stirring, just until the dough starts coming together. You may need more or less water. I needed a little more.
  6. Dust a work surface with flour and knead lightly.
  7. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10-20 minutes.
  8. Preheat oven to 400.
  9. Prepare a piece of parchment paper to fit your pan and dust with flour.
  10. Roll dough until thin. The thinner the crispier!
  11. Cut with a pizza cutter.
  12. Sprinkle with salt and place in oven.
  13. Cook 7-10 minutes until crispy to your liking.
Notes
Try rolling the dough to the same thickness. My edges burnt because the edges were rolled thinner than the middle.



No comments:

Post a Comment